“Delivering Bad News”
Select ONE of the following two:
- Consider the methods discussed in Chapter 7: Delivering Bad News Messages in BCOM9 (pages 116-136). Armed with this knowledge, make a recommendation for which method (inductive or deductive) is the best way to deliver bad news. Defend your answer.
- Locate a bad-news message somewhere on the internet and share a link here. Discuss which method (inductive or deductive) it most closely resembles and explain why the author chose to deliver the bad news. What change(s) would you make if you were required to deliver the same message to someone else?
Accessing Non-Renewable Resources
Countries that claim the most access to the planetâ€™s resources continue to grow in population and economy at an increasing pace. This growth places a strain on the availability of non-renewable resources. What responsibility do these countries have in ensuring the rest of the world has fair access to these resources?
Various reform groups with various causes developed in the US in the late 1800s and early 1900s; these are loosely called â€œProgressivesâ€ as they aimed to use government policies or science to improve and advance society. Also, this period was a time when the US started as a major player in international conflictsâ€”first in the â€œSpanish American War and then in World War I. There were deep isolationist sentiments about such overseas entanglements, and President Wilson first has one position and then the other.
Choose and discuss (in a full paragraph or two) one of the following two topics related to the late 1800s and early 1900s.
- In the Progressive Era (roughly 1890â€“1920), multiple groups advocated for reforms in various aspects of government, society, and the economy. Discuss here the â€œmuckrakersâ€ and Taylorâ€™s â€œscientific managementâ€.
- Explain briefly the approach and aim of the â€œmuckrakersâ€ and that of F. W. Taylor.
- Compare their approaches and describe your feelings about them, and relate some modern situation that reminds you of one of these approaches and reform causes.
- Identify the source(s) where you read about the reform cause.
- From the text, Wilson did not maintain his own campaign slogan (â€œHe kept us out of warâ€).
- Explain with some specifics why Wilson became pro-war. Describe your own feelings on that issue when you look back at it, and whether he was right to change.
- Briefly, identify a similar international consideration todayâ€”or of the last 20 years, and what lesson might be drawn from the example in Wilsonâ€™s time.
- Identify the source(s) where you read about Wilson.
- Is product placement as popular in new media as it has been in traditional television and film content? Do you think over time audiences become anesthetized to this type of advertising? Support your views with two or three reasons and/or examples. (Cite any sources you referenced.)
PLEASE MAKE SURE ALL POSTS ARE DETAILED AND NOT PLAGIARIZED