The two-year-old boy in this episode is tired and hungry, as filming was done just before lunch. Note how his distress diffuses to other children, first to the boy brushing sand, and then to the girl who cries. All of these children are ready for food and a nap.
- What are some environmental issues that affect this boy’s behavior?
- What might a caregiver do that would be helpful for this child?
- If your goal is to help the boy calm himself, what might you do? What else might you do?
- Is a time-out an appropriate solution for a child who is in this state? Why or why not?
- How might you as a supervisor, help the childcare assistants work more effectively with this child?
- What are some appropriate activities for children when they are hungry or tired and must wait for lunch or nap? How can caregivers help?