Write a 6–8-page assessment of an ethical issue in a case study and construct an ethical analysis based on the application of ethical principles.
Note: The assessments in this course build upon each other, so you are strongly encouraged to complete them in sequence.
In this assessment, you will choose a case study and analyze an ethical dilemma within it, based on the application of ethical principles. Think of this ethical analysis as a report you would make in a professional context. In Assessment 2, you will report on cultural aspects of the same case. In Assessment 3, you will apply related psychological theories, research, principles and standards to develop an action plan to resolve the case. In Assessment 4, you will record a presentation to communicate your research and plan.
To prepare for this assessment, complete the following:
- Read the four case studies in the Case Studies media.
- Choose one that you will work with in Assessments 1–4.
Write a 6–8-page report in which you complete the following:
- Create a title page: Write a title that reflects the purpose of your work. It is suggested that you use the APA Paper Template, linked in the Resources under the Suggested Resources heading, to format your paper according to the APA manual (sixth edition).
- Write an introduction: For the introduction section of your paper, include the title at the top of the first page. (In APA format, the word Introduction is not used as a heading.) Briefly summarize:
- The ethical issue in the case you have chosen.
- How professional standards and other resources, in general terms, point toward solutions.
- How the issue in general relates to larger societal problems.
- Create a heading titled Applied Ethical Principles and Standards: Use the APA Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct to assess which of them relate to the particular ethical issue in this case, and analyze how they do so.
- Create a heading titled Alternative Solutions:
- Brainstorm several alternatives for resolving the ethical dilemma in the case. Thoroughly analyze the possible ramifications for at least three alternatives. Then, choose a course of action.
- Explain your chosen course of action and support it based on both ethical principles and current psychological research (within the past decade).
- Create a heading titled Conclusion: Briefly summarize the importance of the problem and make a compelling appeal for implementation of your action plan.
Keep in mind that, while your writing must conform to APA standards, you must explain all information in a manner that can be easily understood by a nonacademic or nonscientific audience.
Refer to the Ethical Issue and Action Plan Scoring Guide to ensure that you meet the grading criteria for this assessment.
Your assessment should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is well organized and free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA style: Comply with current APA style and formatting.
- Number of resources: A minimum of three academic resources.
- Length: 6–8 typed, double-spaced pages, excluding cover page and references.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.