Assignment 1: International Workforce and Its Impact on Strategy Formulation
The workforce management is far more complicated in companies with operations in multiple countries than their domestic counterparts. There are political, economic, social-cultural, technological, and legal issues that add substantial challenges to this naturally complicated task. Leadership styles and management practices vary from country to country, creating difficulties for people in units located in different countries to achieve corporate goals.
Using the University online library resources, locate a minimum of four different scholarly sources on leading international employees, international workforce development and labor law. Based on what you learned from them, discuss the following points related to these topics:
- The recruitment and selection issues being faced by companies that have a presence in different cultures and countries
- The importance of labor-management relations, and how they differ around the world
- The importance of training and development programs, especially cultural training, when leading an international workforce
- The impact of the above discussed issues on a successful strategy formulation
Beginning Friday, January 30, 2015, post your responses to the appropriate Discussion Area.
Write your initial response in 300â€“500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Assignment 2: Global Strategy Analysisâ€”The External and the Internal Environments
For this assignment, you are to research the environment surrounding the company of your choice, both at the macro- as well at the micro-level. For the external environment, the following two analyses should be performed: an industry-level analysis (Porterâ€™s Five Forces), and a macro-level external environment analysis, such as the PESTEL (Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Environmental, and Legal) analysis.
Together, the data collected from these two analyses will help to determine how prepared the company is to face the main challenges of doing business in a globalized marketplace and staying competitive. Use instruments from your readings, class discussions, and specific evidence from scholarly sources to support your outcomes.
In a 6-pages report, complete the following:
- Conduct a macro-external environment analysis (PESTEL) and identify trends that are likely to affect the industry in which your chosen company operates.
- Conduct an industry analysis, identifying:
- New entrants and related threats to your chosen company
- Current competition
- Substitute products/services and related threats to your chosen company
- Power held by buyers and suppliers in the current and future target markets
- Key success factors in pursuing current operations and in internationalizing/globalizing operations
- From both analyses, generate a list of 5 to 8 external factors that represent important opportunities and threats (OT) facing the chosen company currently and in the future movement towards internationalization of operations.
- Conduct a succinct internal analysis of your organization. Explain if existing resources and capabilities are aligned to take advantage of opportunities and face the threats identified in the external environment assessment. Your analysis should address main assets and competencies, value chain, facilities and operations, personnel, and financial situation.
Your final report will be in a word document and be approximately 5â€“7 pages in length and utilize at least 3 scholarly and professional sources in your research. Your paper should be written in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Use the APA format.
Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M3_A2.doc. For example, if your name is John Smith, your document will be named SmithJ_M3_A2.doc.
By Monday, February 2, 2015, deliver your assignment