How you will do it
- Review Polls: What Do the Numbers Tell Us? and complete Part 1 of the worksheet Public Opinion Polls.
- Select a recent Gallup poll for evaluation. (Polls from national magazines and daily newspapers may also be suitable.) Follow the directions in Part 2 of Public Opinion Polls.
- Use your completed worksheet as a basis for analysis and write a critique of the poll’s accuracy and validity in a brief essay. Submit your essay, along with the completed worksheet and a copy of the poll, to your instructor.
- For Step 3, prepare a 1-2 page essay with a clear thesis statement and support for your evaluation of the poll you selected. Your essay must be formatted according to MLA guidelines and should include a Works Cited page of references. Submit the essay with your completed Public Opinion Polls handout.
- Be prepared to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of polls and their role in political contests and decisions