Obesity in America is considered an epidemic. There are many
contributing factors to obesity (both childhood and adult), such as
biological, environmental, social, or economic factors. Review the
information on obesity on pages 419 to 421 in the textbook. You may also
use the Internet or Strayer Library to research obesity and its
- “What Are the Health Risks of Overweight and Obesity?” located at http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/risks.html
Write a one to two page (1-2) page essay in which you:
- Describe the effect that obesity (childhood and / or adult) has had on you personally or your community.
- Select one (1) contributing factor to childhood or adult obesity.
Recommend two (2) preventative measures related to the selected factor
that people can take in order to reduce their chance of becoming obese.
- Discuss one (1) sociological theory that relates to the selected contributing factor to obesity.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with
one-inch margins on all sides. Check with your professor for any
- To keep this essay short and manageable, your only sources for the
essay should be the article from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood
Institute and the sections noted in your text. For this reason, APA
citations or references are not required for this assignment.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the
student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date.
The cover page is not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Define the basic concepts used in the discipline of sociology.
- Explain the major theoretical paradigms of sociology.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in sociology.
- Write clearly and concisely about sociology using proper writing mechanics.