Material: Hydrogen Peroxide 3%, Alginate impression material
Purpose: To understand the implications and purpose of the Bloodborne Pathogens standard, Waste Management, and how these apply to dentistry. To identify both biological and chemical hazards found in the dental office and how to implement the requirements and recommendations involving potential hazards exposed to dental team members.
Who is your Audience? Imagine you are the Infection Control Lead in a dental office. Your goal is to educate staff of OSHA, BPS, and CDC practices to protect yourself, the dental team, and our community. Your classmates will also learn from you and your efforts to recognize safety concerns. Provide your readers with concrete facts, about the material. You are evolving to be a leader in dentistry!
Required Reading to Complete the Assignments: Chapter 19, 22, and 23 and Internet
Resources listed below will assist you as you proceed to complete both Part One and Part Two.
These resources will also provide great insight as you move forward in your dental assisting
education and career. I highly recommend you save these sites as “Favorites” or Bookmark
Quick Reference Guide to the Bloodborne Pathogens Standard
Bloodborne Pathogens and Needlestick Prevention
Interim Infection Prevention and Control Guidance for Dental Settings During the COVID-19 Response
Hazard Communication Safety Data Sheets (Quick Card)
Hazard Communication Standard: Labels and Pictograms
Research the two (2) Dental Products/Materials. There is no required manufacturer; any brand is acceptable, but it has to be for dental use.
Prepare a Word document, and identify the following objectives for each dental product/material (you are not creating an SDS):
- For each product, provide the product name and any generic name if applicable. Cite the resource(s) (APA).
- Determine the dental purpose/intended DENTAL use of the dental material. RESEARCH.
- Clearly state its purpose.
- Don’t make assumptions about the material; research the intended dental applications
- Define the dental application or the procedure or when the material is used.
- Cite the resource(s) and provide the reference(s) using APA format.
- By reading the 16 sections of the SDS, locate and identify the Section # for each of the following (if not applicable indicate N/A). After each item provide the details related to the sections:
Example: Section 8: Exposure Controls/Personal Protection – face mask and safety eye wear must be worn when handling this material.
- Hazard Pictogram: What does the graphic mean?
- Hazardous Ingredient/Composition:
- Routes of Entry:
- Precautions for Safe Handling / Personal Protective Equipment/ Exposure Controls:
- First Aid:
- Fire or Explosive Fighting Measures:
- Stability and Reactivity:
- Handling and Storage:
- Disposal Considerations:
- Toxicological Information:
- Any Carcinogenic or teratogenic effects:
4. State and describe what surprised you most about the product SDS description and its potential hazards or precautions.
5. Describe why you believe you have been given this assignment. Here are some points to consider.
- How would you use this knowledge in the clinical setting?
- Reflect on why and what you have learned about this week’s topic.
6. Provide a copy of the actual SDS that you used to complete this assignment. Copy and paste into your Word document after items 1-5.
7. Provide a Resource page using APA. This will be the last page of your document