Identify two groups you belong to or have belonged to; the groups can be personal or work-related.
Based on your observations of how the groups function and the interactions among the groups’ members, answers to the following questions:
- What was the composition of each group?
- What types of groups were they?
- Were the values and mission of the group apparent? How?
- Were the operational objectives or mission of the group supported by the individuals? How?
- What were the attitudes of individual members to being a part of a group? Were they committed and compliant? Were they resistant?
- Was there a leader and was the leader effective? What made the leader effective or ineffective?
- Do you feel the leader was respectful of group’s members? Why or why not?
- How would you rate the communication effectiveness of the group? Explain.
- What motivated you to join the group and stay with or leave it? Explain.
- What role did you play in the group?
- Was the group cohesive? What made it cohesive or noncohesive?
- Were there any barriers to collaboration? If so, what were they?
- Would you consider these groups to be successful? If so, what characteristics of a successful group did they possess? If not, which characteristics did they lack?