Comprehensive Paper Evaluation Guidelines
The scholarly paper is a comprehensive evaluation of an elderly client. A client may be selected
in any setting. This will be your scholarly paper for this class. It should be submitted in APA
format. References should not be greater than 5 years old. Scholarly references/research articles
should be used. The research port of the university’s library is ideal. Throughout your paper you
should consider age-related changes (physiological). Please do not write this paper as a health
history as in health assessment classes this should be written as a narrative format. This paper is
worth 15% of your grade. The body of the paper is 5 pages long, not including the title page and
Information to be included:
1. Give a brief history of the client; include the medical history, social history
2. Explain the individual’s acute or chronic medical issues. If the individual has an acute
medical problem, explain how it is exacerbated by the aging process (physiologic age-related
changes). If your client does not have any medical concerns discuss how they are
maintaining their health. Use research to support your findings.
3. Review the medications that the individual is taking, including any over the counter drugs.
Are any of these drugs a problem? Many medications are problems in the older adult.
Explain the concern.
4. Explain the functional status? (ADL and IADL) What is their mobility and ability to perform
everyday activities? If there are any issues or concerns, explain.
5. Look at the mental health and cognitive ability. Is there any impairment? Is there a concern
and if so is it being addressed? Also consider their daily activities including social activities.
6. Evaluate the living situation. Is it a problem or potential problem? Living alone, with family
or in a facility; is it a problem or a good fit? Are there safety issues or concerns? Explain. If
your client is from the hospital you should be considering their home situation. How will
their home/living situation be impacted due to the illness?
7. What are your recommendations to improve the quality of life for this individual?
(GRADING RUBRIC) EVALUATION OF UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARLY PAPER
Content and Thought
The content of the scholarly paper is an indicator of
the thought processes used by the student in the
development and execution of the assignment.
The indicators of these processes are:
1. Uses relevant references.
2. Addresses all components of assigned criteria.
3. Synthesizes information.
4. Applies theories and concepts.
5. Uses logical reasoning and correct inductive or
1. Includes purpose in introduction.
2. Paper is logically arranged with introduction,
body, and summary.
3. Subsections and paragraphs reflect the main
4. Transitions occur between thoughts.
Literacy and Style
1. Uses professional vocabulary.
2. Uses correct grammar, spelling, punctuation,
3. Maintains economy of expression.
1. Title page is correct.
2. Page numbering is accurate.
3. Page header is appropriate.
4. Citation of references in text is correct.
5. Reference list follows APA format.
Citations in text are included on
Reference list citations are included in
Final Grade 100