As you will recall, the concept of Ren, or humanness, is the most important principle in Confucian ethics. This is the idea of treating others with compassion. Ren frames all other virtues (both moral and non-moral).
For this assignment, demonstrate your understanding of Ren and other key concepts of Confucian ethics by choosing one of the following options:
- Write a Poem
- Write lyrics and/or record a Song (may be an original tune or a parody)
- Write a script and/or record a TV or Radio Commercial
- Create a PowerPoint Presentation
- Create a Movie Poster
- Create a Travel Brochure
While you may choose any of the above formats, you must cover some of the basics surrounding Ren. Include a definition of it, examples of Ren in everyday life, why Ren is an important tenet in Confucian ethics, and how does one show Ren towards others?
What you submit to the drop box below will vary depending on which form of expression you choose above. However, it is your responsibility to ensure that what you submit can be easily viewed by an average person using a computer equipped with Internet access and Microsoft Office. Some examples might include:
- Poem: would likely take the form of a Microsoft Word document.
- Song: lyrics would likely be done in a Word document.
- Song: audio recording would ideally be in an MP3 format (to ensure that the file is small enough to submit).
- TV/Radio Commercial: script would likely be done in a Word document.
- TV Commercial: video would likely be uploaded to YouTube (or similar) and hyperlink provided in the dropbox.
- Radio Commercial: audio recording would ideally be in an MP3 format (to ensure that the file is small enough to submit).
Submit your completed assignment by following the directions linked below. Please check the Course Calendar for specific due dates.
Save your assignment as the appropriate file type given the option you chose above. The name of the file should be your first initial and last name, followed by an underscore and the name of the assignment, and an underscore and the date. An example is shown below:
In your reading, Kwasi Wiredu described how stories have been used as a scare tactic to keep children and the weak-minded in line. One example he uses is Akan parents telling their children not to sing while bathing; otherwise, their mother will die. (Wiredu says this is for the child’s well-being so that he or she did not accidently drink the dirty water and possibly get sick.)
Is it morally reasonable to mislead or lie to a child for his or her own well-being? Is this sort of parental behavior a necessary “tool” for guiding a child to do the right thing until he or she can figure out what is right or wrong on his or her own?
Many cultures use the idea of Santa Claus making a list of who is naughty/nice as a way to manage the behaviors of children (because those children on the “nice list” receive presents). Do you feel that this parental behavior is morally reasonable?
Due dates for your initial and response posts can be found by checking the Course Syllabus and Course Calendar.