The graduate integrates and synthesizes competencies from across the degree program and thereby demonstrates the ability to participate in and contribute value to the chosen professional field.
In this part of your capstone project, you will explore and explain your work. Each part of this task builds on the others; however, you may wish to write the parts out of sequence depending on your writing style. This format is similar to the requirements for grant proposals or publications, so this may be applicable to your future work in the health information management (HIM) field.
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. An originality report is provided when you submit your task that can be used as a guide.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
A. Develop an abstract (suggested length of 100-200 words) that includes the following:
â€¢ the rationale for the capstone project
â€¢ a description of the healthcare setting
â€¢ the research methodology
â€¢ a summary of findings
â€¢ the next steps for additional investigation
B. Describe how your topic applies to the HIM field within a healthcare setting by doing the following:
1. Describe the healthcare setting of your topic.
a. Discuss roles of key stakeholders involved in this topic within the healthcare setting.
2. Explain how your topic evolved within the field of HIM.
3. Explain how your topic influences the healthcare setting.
4. Explain the challenges of your topic by doing the following:
a. Discuss why the challenges occur.
b. Discuss the negative impact of the challenges.
c. Discuss how the challenges are resolved.
5. Discuss the impact this topic has on the HIM profession.
6. Discuss the research methodology used in investigating the topic.
C. Recommend additional HIM topics to investigate, based on questions raised during your research of the chosen HIM problem.
D. Include a section at the end of your submission that includes the following:
1. appendices and exhibits that are referenced in the report
2. data-gathering instruments (e.g., surveys, and questionnaires)
3. the â€œCapstone Project Employer Verification Formâ€ you used to obtain permission to conduct your capstone in the organization
E. Acknowledge sources, using APA-formatted in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.
F. Demonstrate professional communication in the content and presentation of your submission.