When thinking about the Civil Rights and the Women’s liberation movement, I want to encourage you to think about the longer push for equality here – these two movements have a long history together of pushing for civil rights (including notably the right to vote) and an equally long history of not always sharing the exact same goals. As you examine these sources think about how each woman’s economic and racial background impacts their experiences with gender equality.
Steps to complete the Assignment:
- Read the following documents in your textbook:
- In Chapter 10, pages 595-603.
- Write your essay (about 400-600 words long) that responds to the following questions.
- What are the differing concerns of white women vs. women of color in the Women’s Movement? Why do you think these differences evolved?
- How did women in the Civil Rights movement struggle with the limitation of gender roles?
- What was consciousness-raising? How was it different from the goals from the feminists movement of the 1920s and 1960s?