For this assignment, present the information that you have learned about student rights; specifically, focus on the challenges with affirmative action. You will adopt the role of a university leader preparing the team for ethical practices in the admissions process.
Then, prepare a presentation (video/audio recording or a PowerPoint) on equity in the admission process as laid out in Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and affirmative action programs. The audience for this presentation is the admissions and financial aid teams. If helpful, use the following questions to shape the conversation.
- List criteria that should be used in the admission process.
- Explain the difference between the meaning of equity and that of equality.
- Discuss the goals to be achieved in disestablishing the Dual System of Higher Education.
- Consider the conclusions that can be drawn about federal policy on compliance with title VI after reading the Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
- Determine if the admission process must be free of any constitutionally prohibited criteria to ensure that it is “color blind.”
- List the constitutionally prohibited criteria?
- Determine if advantages can be given to a select group based on past disadvantages.
- Decide if race, ethnic origin, or gender can be considered as criteria for admissions.
- Determine if targets or quotas can be used to achieve equality. Then, describe how the two differ.
Length: 10 slides, with a separate reference slide
Notes: 200 words per slide
References: Include a minimum of three scholarly resources no older than 6 years.