LinkedIn.com, a social media site used by professionals, identified the most sought-after technical position in 2017 as Site Reliability Engineer. The position’s median base salary was $140,000 (Columbus, 2017, Jan. 28).
Based on your review of the Forbes article by Columbus (2017, Jan. 28), Bright Outlook Occupations lists, and other sources, which IT position do you feel will be the most sought-after, and what specific skills, both technical and non-technical, will be required? Select a position that you would like to research further as a potential sought-after employment opportunity, and provide opportunities or gaps in skills or learning you might need to address.
After you have completed your initial post, return to the discussion and review the posts of your fellow learners. Ask yourself these questions before responding:
- Are there any surprises posted?
- Do you agree that other positions posted will be the “most sought-after IT positions” in the next year or two? Why or why not?
- Can you offer any suggestions to your fellow learners on how to close the gaps between current skills and future desired skills?
Bright outlook occupations. (n.d.). O*Net OnLine. Retrieved from https://www.onetonline.org/find/bright?b=0&g;=Go
Columbus, L. (2017, Jan. 28). 12 of LinkedIn’s 20 most promising 2017 jobs are in tech. Forbes.com. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/louiscolumbus/2017/01…
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
- Identify the experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to be successful in a selected IT discipline.
- Identify roles within a selected IT discipline.
- Identify technical and soft skills required for a selected IT discipline.