Write a short reflection statement after reading Chapter 13. Use complete sentences and correct academic writing to complete this assignment.
Respond in writing to these items:
- How does Sinnott-Armstrong reply to Rodin’s claim that consequentialism is useless in addressing preventive war? Do you agree? Why or why not?
- Walzer examines excuses for terrorism while granting that terrorism cannot be morally justified. What is the distinction between a justification and an excuse?
- According to Valls, what are the two difficulties that arise when one is trying to define “terrorism”? What final definition of the term does Valls stipulate that he will use in his arguments?
- Prior to reading the text, how would you have defined terrorism?
- What is your understanding of terrorism now?
- How would you account for the huge amount of terrorism in the 20th and 21st centuries?
- What do you see as the ethically proper response to acts of terror?