Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: pp. 66-69
- Minimum of 1 source (online graphic)
Apply the following writing resources to your posts:
- Link (multimedia presentation): Citing References in Text (Links to an external site.)
- Link (website): Citation and Writing Assistance: APA Citations (Links to an external site.)
Initial Post Instructions
Part 1: Research & Review
Search online to find a medical, health facility, or communal-health advertisement. Medical advertisements might include drugs (prescription or over the counter), treatments, or medical devices. You might also find an ad for a local health facility. Alternatively, you can find an ad promoting a communal health topic, like drunk-driving, homelessness, or properly buckling children in car seats. Ideally, you should work within your chosen topic for Week 3 and 4, but if you cannot find an ad about your topic, go with one that sparks your interest.
Part 2: Application
Dissect your chosen ad based on the 4 appeals from this week’s lesson: logos, pathos, ethos, and kairos.
- Attempt to find an example of each in your ad, and explain how each appeal tries to persuade the audience.
- If an appeal is missing, then discuss how its absence effects the ad’s overall persuasion.
- Finally, present your overall assessment of the ad’s effectiveness.
Click on the following Writing Tip link to learn about citing graphics: