View an introduction to the Assignment here. Be sure to adjust your audio settings.
Unit outcomes addressed in this assignment:
- Identify the basic parameters of a clinical nutrition assessment.
Course outcome assessed/addressed in this assignment:
NS420-3: Analyze the data gathered during nutritional counseling.
Mastery level: Student work demonstrates the ability to
- calculate and assess BMI
- assess and evaluate nutrition specific lab values
- evaluate a food record and identity correctly areas needing improvement
- identify specific goals with measurable outcomes.
Imagine yourself in the role of a Nutrition Counselor and Josephine is your client. Josephine is a 20-year-old female who is present for purging disorder, an â€œOther Specified Feeding or Eating Disorderâ€ (OSFED). She currently teaches salsa lessons at the community college and is in her last semester of college. She reports she is living at home and the food her mom prepares is not the healthiest because her mom is from Honduras and her father is from Guatemala, so the food is prepared differently. She indicates she has been thin all her life, although she has struggled to maintain her weight since going through puberty, and since she is a salsa instructor, she has to remain fit. She reports she feels very guilty if she has consumed fried foods during the day, but since that is the way her mom primarily cooks, she feels awful to tell her mom to stop cooking that way. She reports if she does consume too much fried foods or junk food, she will run at least 2-3 miles that day or else force herself to vomit, but all the food does not come out. She reports sometimes if she has a later class, she will not eat dinner or only eat 1 meal per day. She has tried counting calories, but then she gets so mad at herself for having more than 1200 calories it causes her to exercise more, which then leads her to feeling exhausted. She indicates she is on no medication, but does take a multivitamin when she remembers. She indicates she has gone from 110 pounds to 125 pounds over 5 years and wants to be back down to 110 or even less. She also had gone to the doctor and he was quite concerned with her lab values. She has provided you a 24 hour meal record:
1-6â€ corn tortilla
Â½ cup fried beans cooked with peppers, onions and oil
Â½ cup rice
1 cup no sugar added orange juice
1 slice of whole wheat bread
2 slices turkey
1 small apple
2- 6â€ tortillas
Beef with onions, peppers cooked in oil
Tomato, onion, pepper salad (made with oil and lime juice)
2 cups of rice
Height: 5â€™2â€ Weight: 117 pounds (based on your scale in the office)
Albumin (visceral protein stores)
Questions for Unit 4:
1. Based on her height and weight, what is her BMI (Body Mass Index)? Is this considered underweight, normal or overweight/obese?
2. What lab values are elevated or decreased? What are some nutrition specific reasons for these high or low values?
3. Based on her above food record, identify at least three areas that need improvement. What nutrition recommendations would you provide to see improvement?
4. Provide at least three specific goals you would want to establish with this client. When writing goals to ensure we can see a good outcome, remember to be positive and specific. For example, do not write â€œShe will eat consistentlyâ€–rather write â€œShe is going to eat 3 meals per day at consistent times (7:30am, 1:30pm, and 7pm).â€
Please do not use question and answer format in your essay. Instead, please write an essay with a separate paragraph to answer each question.
- This assignment needs to be at least two pages in length and include at least two references.
- This Assignment should be in APA format and follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.). Your writing should be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful. Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics. Be sure to use APA in-text citations and a reference page to attribute each source.