Response Paper – Instructions
In the Iliad, there is a dichotomy between war and peace, suffering and understanding. How can this contrast be related to a current global issue?
Write a response essay where you complete the following tasks:
- Introduce the story and author. Provide a short overview of the story so as to provide a background for your response and a clear thesis statement.
- Discuss the dichotomy portrayed in the story. Explain in detail why this aspect stood out to you and support those ideas with actual text from the story.
- Connect that dichotomy with a current global issue. Ask yourself, how is the contrast between war and peace and/or suffering and understanding reflected in a current global issue?
- Provide a rationale for your ideas using textual evidence and a secondary scholarly source from the GMC library.
- Page count: 2 – 3 ( excluding Works Cited page)
- MLA formatting
- Your analysis should include at least 2 direct quotes from the original source (quotes should not be longer than two lines) and a paraphrase from a scholarly secondary source from GMC library.
- Works Cited page
- Your paper must be formatted according to MLA format.
- You must include a works-cited page at the end of your paper.
- You must include in-text citations within the body of your paper.
- For more information about MLA style, you should view the Purdue OWL’s pages on MLA: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/mla_style/mla_formatting_and_style_guide/mla_formatting_and_style_guide.html
Mechanics, Grammar, and Punctuation
- All written assignments should be mechanically and grammatically correct with proper punctuation. For more information on each of these, you should view the Purdue OWLâ€™s General Writing Resources page: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/general_writing_introduction.html.
- The introduction should include a clear thesis statement. It should also clearly identify the title of the reading you’ve chosen for your research paper, the author’s name, the idea found in the reading, and the global issue being discussed in your response.
- Each body paragraph should have a clear topic sentence that relates back to the thesis. The information in each paragraph should relate to the topic sentence. In the body paragraphs, you should focus on how the idea relates to the issue being discussed (e.g. does it offer a solution, explanation, warning, etc.).
- Before you begin writing, I recommend that you write an outline to organize your ideas. Doing this will help you write a logical, well-organized essay.
This assignment is will be assessed using the Response Paper Rubric (see Course Rubrics).