eview the following selected readings in The Longman Writer: Rhetoric, Reader, Research Guide, and Handbook.
- Chapter 14 selection, “Cyberschool” by Clifford Stoll (pp. 282–284)
- Chapter 18, “Argumentation-Persuasion” (pp. 398–420 only): How does the type of audience influence the kinds of persuasive techniques an author uses in an essay?
- Chapter 18 selection, “In Praise of the ‘F’ Word” by Mary Sherry (pp. 438–439)
- Chapter 20, “Writing the Research Paper” (pp. 523–544, 570–572 only): How does citing outside sources help increase the effectiveness of an author’s persuasive arguments?
- Read the Discussion Spark topic/question or comment posted by your Instructor in the Discussion Thread on Day 1.
Think about how ethos, pathos, and logos are defined in a writing context. Consider how understanding ethos, pathos, and logos affects how you prepare for writing your assignments.
Choose one author (Stoll or Sherry) from the selected readings in The Longman Writer to write about for this Discussion assignment. Consider the author’s credibility, use of emotional appeal, and use of logic. How did he or she make use of ethos, pathos, and logos?